The construction of the bunker complex at Obersalzberg began in the summer of 1943. The system was unsuitable for military purposes. It was never part of the 'Alpine Fortress', a legend of the final months of the War.
In the central area around Hitler's Berghof, an independently functioning complex emerged - a subterranean Fuehrer Headquarters. This was from where the Reich was to be governed and war be waged, in case the buildings above the ground were destroyed or if the Obersalzberg should temporarily fall into enemy hands.
Only the Antenberg (workers camp) and Hintereck (employees settlement) sections of the system were common, short-term air raid shelter constructions.
The central part consisted of six subsystems, each of which was associated with an above ground building (Berghof Bunker, Vordereck Bunker or Command gallery, Bormann Bunker, Goering Bunker, SS gallery, Platterhof and Guesthouse Bunker).
The subsystems were connected with each other by long corridors or staircases, so that almost all important buildings were reachable beneath the ground. Only the Goering Bunker (Goerings house and the adjutancy) remained separate from the rest of the system due to personal rivalries between Bormann and Goering.
All important functions of the buildings above ground were also present in the bunkers - living, work, office, storage and technical space. The bunker flats were supposed to confer a comparable degree of comfort. The storage rooms contained large amounts of vitals, drinks and other everyday commodities.
It was not the officials of the Third Reich who survived in the bunker complex during the British air raid on Obersalzberg on April 25, 1945, but over 1,000 workers.